Tuesday, June 11, 2013

TESV:Skyrim - Riften

Here's a few sketches from the development of Riften. The idea from the designers is that it would be a city constructed at the base of a lake built mostly from wood. The idea reminded me (visually) of the Adirondacks in upstate NY mixed with a Scandinavian fishing town. Here's a just a few of the sketches all done with colored pencil, pastel washes and markers, plus a few touches of Photoshop.




All Images Copyright Bethesda Softworks LLC, All Rights Reserved 2011

4 comments:

Cursed Armada said...

Awesome bro... Reminds me of Oregon!

said...

Sold! I want to play a game that uses your drawings the way you drew them. "Final product" colors aren't as rich obviously, but your original images capture the character of the people and towns you've drawn. I especially enjoyed the fellows drinking/smoking in your image of Whiterun, and the rain slicked streets of Solitude. The raw emotion in your brush strokes are breathtaking. Perhaps the game creators were trying to go for more realism, but it's missing your intensity. Thank you for making this blog and letting us see your images.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

@ Cursed Armada: Thank you ! I'm glad I could evoke a place and time for you.

@風: Thank you so much! I'm very happy you like my work. It's an honor to be given such high praise. I give most of the credit to the artistry and hard work that went into building this world. I like to think the art we produced was more of a jumping off point that the rest of the team could get behind and make their own. It's really a group effort. In the end I still have my images but the world our team created is so much more. Thank you again!