Sunday, August 26, 2007

Back from Lopez Island

Wow! We're back and what an amazing journey. We stayed with our good and dear friend Cedar Bough and her family on a wonderful rustic farm on the south edge of the island. There's no running water except for in the main house and a small outdoor sauna with a shower, sink, and washing machine attached. The first couple of nights we stayed in the upstairs room of the barn and then a small cabin down the drive for the rest of the week. Cedar and her family showed us so much kindness and generosity. It will be a challenge to come up with a way to show my appreciation.

I did a little painting. Mostly to get used to the feeling of oils after about a 15 year hiatus. I've come to remember that oils are wily and REAL. Unlike digital painting. They'll be there for me once I gain the confidence to make committed palette choices. I'm just getting the feel for it again so I won't post anything from the past week, however I plan to pursue this whole heartedly now that I've gotten my brushes and appetite wet again. I need a mentor, or at least someone with a few years experience on me to show the basic time saving stuff I'm clearly lacking right now. I think my next step will be to purchase Alla Prima by Richard Schmid and make it my bible.

This photo of us was taken by Cedar on the cliffs overlooking Watmough Bay.



No comments: